Turmeric Chicken Salad
Join us as we celebrate Salt Awareness Week, with the slogan ‘More Flavour, Less Salt’. We used fresh and local ingredients from our garden such as turmeric, lemon and avocado to prepare a healthy meal, without using salt – Turmeric Chicken Salad.
Try this dish at home and see how many fresh ingredients you can find around the house or from your local vendor to substitute salt.
Before Cooking always remember to be safe and to cook responsibly
Food Safety tips:
- Wash your hands before handling food
- Use separate cutting boards for raw meat and vegetables
- Keep your kitchen clean
- Cook chicken thoroughly so it is not undercooked
You will need:
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet
- Coconut oil
- Garlic (2-3 cloves)
- Lemon zest
- Lime juice
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Red cabbage (shredded)
- Green/white cabbage (shredded)
Steps to follow:
Marinate the chicken:
- In a large bowl, grate turmeric, ginger, garlic and lemon zest over the chicken.
- Add lime juice, basil, black pepper and olive oil to the marinade
- Mix the marinade with the chicken.
- Cover the marinated chicken and refrigerate for one hour or overnight to soak in the flavours.
Cook the chicken:
- Using a large frying pan, heat over the stove with coconut oil.
- Add your chicken and cook until tender (poke a fork through the meat to test).
Prepare the salad:
- On a large plate (or mix in a large bowl), add shredded cabbage (red and white).
- Add finely sliced carrot and capsicum, and diced cucumber and tomato.
- Plate with sliced cucumber and avocado.
- Finish off with basil and lime juice to season the chicken salad.
- Serve the food and enjoy.